Bachelor of Medicine and bachelor of Surgery (MBBS) is the degree awarded upon graduation from medical colleges. The naming suggests that they are two separate degrees; however, in practice, they are usually treated as one. Those holding the M.B.B.S degree and practicing medicine are usually referred to as "Doctor" and use the prefix "Dr". The degree is often used as the Commonwealth equivalent of what is known elsewhere as the degree of Doctor of Medicine (MD).
All medical colleges in Pakistan award the MBBS degree, which is given by the awarding university and accepted by the Pakistan Medical and Dental Council. The duration of the course for the degree is five years and a one year internship/house-job is required for those graduates who wish to practice in Pakistan. Graduates who wish to practice outside of Pakistan are not required to complete the one year house-job/internship.
Many Medical Hospitals in Pakistan also offer Bachelor Programmes in Nursing and Physiotherapy and are normally called B.Sc Nursing and B.Sc Physiotherapy. Medical colleges' graduates are only entitled to use the title "Doctor" upon registration as a medical professional with the relevant regulatory body in their respective country. Medical graduates are also eligible to sit various postgraduate examinations, including examinations for membership and fellowship of professional institutions (such as Membership of the Royal College of Surgeons, MRCS), postgraduate Masters degrees (such as a Master of Surgery or Master of the Art of Obstetrics) and a postgraduate doctorate in medicine (e.g. MD if earned in the UK or Commonwealth nations), and board certification examinations.
In Pakistan a medical college is affiliated with a university as a department. There are however several medical universities and medical institutes with their own medical colleges. All medical colleges and universities are regulated by the respective provincial department of health. They however have to be recognized after meeting strict criteria by a central regulatory authority called Pakistan Medical and Dental Council (PMDC) in Islamabad. See also a list of medical colleges in Pakistan recognized by PMDC.
There are almost equal numbers of government and private medical colleges and universities, with their number exceeding 50. Entrance into the medical colleges is purely on merit under the strict guidelines of PMDC. Both the academic performance at the college (high school, grades 11-12) level and an entrance test like MCAT are taken into consideration for the eligibility to enter a medical college. After successfully completing five years of academic and clinical training in the medical college and affiliated teaching hospital the graduates are awarded a bachelor of Medicine and bachelor of Surgery (MBBS) degree. The graduates are then eligible to apply for a medical license from the PMDC. A house job of one year duration is mandatory in a teaching hospital after completing five years of academic and clinical training in the medical college.
Admission in Medical Colleges and Universities
For MBBS and BDS
At least 60% marks in Intermediate Science (Pre-Medical Group) or equivalence marks in A level or American High School or Equivalent examination.
Medical Colleges and Universities in Pakistan
- Allama Iqbal Medical College, Lahore
- Army Medical College, Rawalpindi
- King Edward Medical University, Lahore
- Nishtar Medical College, Multan
- Punjab Medical College, Faisalabad
- F.M.H College of Medicine & Dentistry, Lahore.
- Foundation University Medical College, Rawalpindi.
- Lahore Medical & Dental College, Lahore.
- Dow University of Health Sciences, Karachi
- Sindh Medical College, Karachi
- Dr.Ishratul Ebad Institute of Oral Health Sciences, Karachi
- Liaquat University of Medical & Health Sciences, Jamshoro
- Chandka Medical College, Larkana
- Nawabshah Medical College for Girls, Nawabshah
- Karachi Medical & Dental College, Karachi
- Aga Khan University Medical College, Karachi
- Baqai Medical College, Karachi
- Hamdard College of Medicine & Dentistry, Karachi
- Sir Syed College of Medical Sciences for Girls, Karachi
- Ziauddin Medical College, Karachi
- Altamash Institute of Dental Medicine, Karachi
- Ayub Medical College, Abbott bad
- Khyber Medical College, Peshawar
- Women Medical College, Abbottabad
If you want to see information about more universities or colleges for the above programs please visit our universities list section here